If you are like most people, you are probably anxious about the prospect of getting braces. After all, wearing braces can be a bit of a pain. But, it is important to remember that there are many benefits to having braces, including a straighter smile and improved oral health.
One of the biggest challenges associated with wearing braces is maintaining good oral hygiene. Braces can make it difficult to reach all of the areas of your mouth, which can lead to plaque build-up and cavities. However, with a little bit of effort, you can keep your teeth healthy while wearing braces. Your The Kids Dentist Of Las Vegas may also recommend using an antimicrobial mouth rinse.
Here are some tips for maintaining oral hygiene while wearing braces:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day.
- Floss at least once a day.
- Brush your teeth after every meal, as well as before going to bed at night, so that you can ensure plaque doesn’t have an opportunity to build up throughout the day.
- Use fluoride toothpaste , because it can help strengthen tooth enamel during the time that you are wearing braces.
- Replace your retainer regularly (toothbrush, floss and sponges) or when one is worn out/broken or they become dirty (flossers).
- Don’t forget to ask your Dentist about dental hygiene products! There may be specific products that they recommend for maintaining oral health during the time that you wear braces (e.g. water flossers or orthodontic toothbrushes).
- Keep your teeth extra clean while wearing braces, so that you can avoid any embarrassing moments!
- Ask your dentist if there are any special instructions for maintaining oral hygiene with braces. For example, some people use a waterpik to help remove plaque and food particles between dental visits (this is especially helpful during the first few months of treatment while new brackets and wires are being adjusted)!
- When you’re not wearing your retainer , keep it in a safe place where it won’t get broken or lost! If you wear an upper retainer instead of a lower retainer , make sure to wear your retainer when sleeping (at night) to prevent your teeth from moving.
Maintaining good oral hygiene is essential when wearing braces, but it can be a challenge. With a little bit of effort, you can keep your teeth clean and healthy while you straighten them out!
How to care for a retainer?
You must clean your retainer on a regular basis to prevent bacteria from growing inside. Wipe your retainer with a toothbrush in the morning and night, avoid using toothpaste (use soap under lukewarm water) and do not rinse it with mouth rinse as this may stain it. Keep your retainer at room temperature overnight or until instructed by your orthodontist. If your retainer is lost or broken, please contact our office.
There you have it – some tips for maintaining oral hygiene while wearing braces! By following these simple guidelines, you can keep your teeth healthy and looking great. And, don’t forget to ask your dentist if there are any other specific instructions that you should follow while wearing braces. Good luck!